You are probably looking forward to the birth of your new child if in the event you are an expectant mother. The period in which you bear your baby can be critical for the next decade of child development so it is important to include immunity boosting foods in your diet during the first trimester till the end.
As a pregnant woman, your diet plays a crucial role in ensuring the healthy growth and development of your baby. That’s why it’s more important than ever to prioritize the foods you consume and ensure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs to support a safe and healthy pregnancy.
In this post, we’ll be discussing some immunity-boosting foods that you can incorporate into your diet to help support a healthy pregnancy. We’ll cover tips on when and how to replenish your bodily system and your baby, along with recommendations for specific foods that can provide essential nutrients for you and your growing baby.
Why Should You Consume Immunity-Boosting Foods During Pregnancy?
During pregnancy, your body goes through a multitude of changes, including a significant shift in your immune system. It’s a proven fact that your body’s immune system is weakened when it detects the presence of a fetus. This is to prevent your antibodies from attacking the non-identical cells of your baby, which could potentially harm the development of the baby.
This shift in your immune system means that it’s especially important to consume immunity-boosting foods during pregnancy to help support your body’s natural defenses. These foods can provide essential vitamins and nutrients that can help keep you and your baby healthy, while also boosting your immune system.
It’s important to consume these foods in both quality and quantity, as you are now bearing a new life in you that requires the same dietary needs. As a general rule, pregnant women should consume an additional 300 calories daily on top of their balanced diet, especially if they are carrying a single baby.
Neglecting to consume enough immunity-boosting foods during pregnancy can lead to complications that could harm both you and your baby, potentially resulting in a painful childbirth. By incorporating these foods into your diet, you can help ensure a safe and healthy pregnancy, while also providing your body with the necessary tools to boost your immune system and fight off infections.
What Immunity-Boosting Foods Should You Consume During Pregnancy?
When it comes to immunity-boosting foods, there are several options that can provide essential vitamins and nutrients to support your immune system and your growing baby:
- Fruits and vegetables: rich in essential vitamins and minerals that can help boost the immune system. Examples include citrus fruits, berries, spinach, and sweet potatoes.
- Probiotics: good bacteria that can help support the health of the gut microbiome, which plays a crucial role in the immune system. Examples include yogurt, kefir, and fermented vegetables.
- Lean protein: provides essential amino acids for proper body function and supports the baby’s growth and development. Examples include chicken, fish, and legumes.
- Whole grains: rich in fiber and essential nutrients that can help support the immune system. Examples include quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat bread.
- Healthy fats: promote healthy fetal development and support the immune system and brain development. Examples include nuts, seeds, and avocado.
While immunity-boosting foods are recommended, food cravings during pregnancy are normal, with two-thirds of pregnant women experiencing them. If your cravings provide energy or essential nutrients, go ahead and indulge. If your cravings prevent you from getting essential nutrients, try to create a more balanced diet.